4th Quarter 2016
Fraud Prevention Procedures
ICMA-RC takes the security of participants’ accounts very seriously and we continuously apply enhancements to safeguard your assets. Our goal is to provide you with flexible withdrawal options while ensuring that the money withdrawn is made available to you as you intend.
Recently, we enhanced fraud detection and prevention technology, practices, and procedures in our contact center. These enhancements will further strengthen our existing processes that assist in authenticating participants as well as identifying and preventing fraud. We will continue to evaluate our fraud prevention processes to ensure your assets are appropriately safeguarded at all times.
You can also take measures to help prevent fraud.
- Update your contact and bank account information promptly with ICMA-RC whenever you have a change.
- Create unique and strong passwords, such as those that include some numbers, symbols and uppercase and lowercase letters. Don’t use passwords that can be easily guessed, such as family members’ names and birthdates.
- Check your account frequently, and notify ICMA-RC immediately of any suspicious activity. Promptly review all mail, email and other communication from ICMA-RC and report any discrepancies.
- Register all devices, such as smart phones, tablets or computers you usually use to access your ICMA-RC accounts.
- If you are a victim of identity theft or if your personally identifiable information has been illegally obtained, contact ICMA-RC immediately at (800) 669-7400.
For more information about identity theft protection and resources, see the Federal Trade Commission’s website at www.ftd.gov/idtheft.