Eligibility for Plan 3
- All current PERS Plan 2 members employed by state agency, higher education institution* and local government and municipality employers. Current employees who were PERS Plan 2 members prior to the implementation of Plan 3 may transfer during their transfer window or during subsequent Januarys.
- All new employees (state agency, higher education institution and local government) hired after the implementation dates for PERS Plan 3 (March 1, 2002, for state agencies and higher education institutions; September 1, 2002, for local governments and municipalities). New employees have 90 days from date of hire to make a choice of Plan 2 or Plan 3 membership.
Additional Plan 3 membership information can be found in the PERS Plan 3 Member Handbook. The Joining Plan 3 section of this website also includes step-by-step instructions for enrollment in PERS Plan 3.
Teachers first hired before July 1, 2007, have the option to transfer to TRS Plan 3.
Teachers who were hired into an eligible position on or after July 1, 2007 have 90 days from date of hire to make a choice of Plan 2 or Plan 3 membership.
You are eligible for Plan 3 if you chose to transfer to Plan 3 or were first hired into a SERS-eligible position on or after:
- September 1, 2000 and before July 1, 2007; or
- August 1, 2009 and chose Plan 3.
* Effective July 1, 2011: If you’re a new employee of a higher education institution, contact your employer to find out if you’re eligible to participate in a Higher Education Retirement Plan (HERP). If you are, you have 30 days from your date of hire to choose a HERP or PERS Plan 3. If you do not make a decision within 30 days, you will default to a HERP.